What We Learned from Our Friends at Bloomberg
In PRSA Silicon Valley (PRSASV)’s first installment of our summer media series events, we brought together a gaggle of Bloomberg reporters for “Inside the Newsroom: Bloomberg TV, Bloomberg Businessweek, Bloomberg News.” The event offered a unique opportunity to get inside the heads of our counterparts, as they divulged the ins and outs of their jobs, their relationship with PR pros and yes, even their pain points.
Hosted at Microsoft, the event drew more than 100 attendees and kicked-off with a one hour networking reception, followed by a panel program and audience Q&A with Emily Chang, Anchor of Bloomberg West, Bloomberg Television; Jon Erlichman, Senior West Coast Correspondent, Bloomberg Television; Rich Jaroslovsky, Technology Columnist and Reviewer, Bloomberg News and Bloomberg Businessweek; and Brad Stone, Senior Writer, Bloomberg Businessweek.
For those who couldn’t attend, here are some takeaways to keep in your back pocket next time you’re looking for a Bloomberg placement:
- Want to know how to successfully pitch Emily Chang? Keep it simple: Bullets with facts and links to other content (including video) are all she needs. Skip the editorial or talk of trends.
- Brad Stone’s advice to getting B2B coverage: make it a compelling human interest angle. A knowledgeable, charismatic co-founder can go a long way.
- Bloomberg is collaborative across all channels. Whilst making a subtle dig at former employer Wall Street Journal, Rich Jaroslovsky said one of the reasons he most enjoys working at Bloomberg is that teams are “free from the tyranny of regions and TV, magazine, online – everyone works together.”
- And as for Jon Erlichman? The Canadian-born broadcaster said when does have the time, he really likes to get to know people and meet with them in person.
- Overall, the panelists agreed that they want to receive pitches and are open to story ideas. Just make sure you know what they cover before pushing send on that email.
Overall, a smashing success—and we’re already looking onward and beginning to plan the next event. Stay tuned – next event we go inside the newsroom of All Things D at Facebook’s headquarters. The event will take place August 28—we hope you’ll join us!